Did you know, we produce around 300 million tons of plastic each year. And of that 300 million, around 8 million enter our oceans. Although recycling is doing a great job of preventing plastics from entering our oceans, in 2017, we only recycle around 8.4% of the plastics we produce.
At Boomi, we believe that recycling alone is not enough. We need to change our daily habits to reduce the amount of plastic we use. Below are 10 ways you can make a difference today!
1. Stop using plastic straws. When you are at a restaurant or anywhere, say no to plastic straws. Purchase a reusable stainless steel or glass straw.
2. Say no to plastic bags. On average, we use around one million plastic bags each minute. Get yourself a tote bag or produce bags when going for groceries.
Check Out Boomi's Grocery Bags - Here
3. Purchase dry foods such as cereal, pasta, and rice in bulk and use a reusable bag or container.
4. Swap your plastic toothbrush with a bamboo one. They look way cooler! Trust us.
Checkout Boomi's Bamboo Toothbrushes - Here
5. Limit the number of frozen foods you purchase. Most of them are packaged in plastic or cardboard that is coated with a thin layer of plastic.
6. Use a safety razor instead of a disposable razor
Check out Boomi's Eternal Razors - Here
7. When you are at your local coffee shop, ask if you could have your coffee in a mug instead of a to-go cup.
8. Invest in a couple of Swedish dishcloths. These can replace the sponge you use at home and all the paper towels. Saving the environment and your wallet. What’s not to love?
Check out our Dishcloths - Here
9. Do not use plasticware at home. If taking out is necessary, ensure to say NO to the plastic utensils.
10. Last and certainly not least. Bring your own water bottle. If not necessary, do not purchase bottled water. Purchase the large gallons of water if needed and refill your bottle.
At any given day or time, there is always an opportunity for us to make a difference. Our question to you, how will you make a difference today?
Boomi's mission is to make zero-waste living simple and to empower people to make a difference every day. We produce purpose-driven household products such as bamboo toothbrushes and shampoo bars. As part of our Boomi Forest Initiative, we donate 8.8% of our revenue to planting trees in Inner Mongolia.
To learn more about our Boomi Forest Initiative, Click Here